At Secure Records Solutions, we understand our clients care about the sustainability of the solutions we provide. For us, sustainability is not a catch phrase. It’s an expression of who we are. Every day we work to improve the lives of others, while providing sustainable document management solutions.
The theme for this year’s Earth Day, “Invest in Our Planet”, reminds us of the importance of sustainability as a variable in all of our present actions, innovations, and decisions. We believe it’s our responsibility to protect the environment for future generations.
At the end of the day, that’s what drives our commitment to sustainability, and what inspired the many improvements we’ve made over the past year. By collaborating with stakeholders, including our team members, business partners, vendors, and clients, we’ve improved the sustainability of our document management solutions. We’re excited to share the progress we’ve made towards achieving our goals:
- Invested in energy-efficient upgrades. We continue to find new ways to integrate energy efficiency into the facility. For example, we worked with our city government, electrical engineer, and suppliers to incorporate energy conserving improvements into the design of our new shred plant operation.
- Improved sustainable fleet management practices. We’ve continued to modernize our fleet over the past year, gaining fuel efficiency in the process. Additionally, we’ve implemented innovative processes for organizing loads and routes, moving away from the traditional box-and-pallet system. In turn, we’ve significantly reduced the number of trips and trucks required for large offsite projects.
- Expanded recycling impact and reduced waste sent to landfills. We have strengthened our shredding program by increasing the amount of recycled paper from 2.6M pounds in 2020 to 3.7M pounds in 2021. This is the result of both densifying our service area and making strategic improvements to our shred operation, which allowed us to capture 100% of our shred volume for recycling.
The environmental impact of recycling is no small feat. 3.7 million pounds of paper equates to:
- 10,575,081 pounds of wood saved (Equivalent to: 31,757 saved trees)
- 709,857 gallons of oil (Equivalent to: enough electricity to power the average American household for 22 years)
- 5,604 cubic yards of landfill space (Greenhouse gas emissions from landfills are 28 times more potent than carbon dioxide, leading contributor to global warming)
- 7,472,176 kilowatts of energy (Equivalent to: powering 692 homes for a year)
- 13,076,308 gallons of wastewater not produced (Equivalent to: 19.8 Olympic swimming pools of water)
- 3,601 metric tons of CO2 emissions not produced (Equivalent to: taking 2,706 cars off the road in one year)*
It is particularly gratifying to know that we are able to harness this efficiency to help our clients improve the sustainability of their own waste streams. We hope you’ll join us in the commitment to #InvestInOurPlanet. Read more about our efforts in the updated 2021 Sustainability Report. And if your business is looking for sustainable, secure solutions, don’t wait until the next Earth Day rolls around. Give us a call today, and let’s work together to find a solution that works for you and our environment!
Read the complete report: SRS Sustainability Report 2021